Ah, The Joys of Parenthood…
Ah, I remember my life before kids. I could workout in peace without many interruptions… then my kids came along, and boy did life change. Exercising with kids around is completely different. Don’t get me wrong, I love it! They bring me double the joy AND double the worry and tears. But if I didn’t have those tears, I wouldn’t have double the joy either, right? Although I love this life, exercising with kids can be hard! I needed to finds ways to continue exercing with kids who were ALWAYS AROUND!
How Do I Exercise When My Kids are Always Around?
This site contains affiliate links (See full disclosure here.)
- Plan a daily physically activite game you can do with your child. Play tag, catch, soccer, or freeze dance with your children. You are playing and checking exercise off your list all at once. And just like that you are exercising with kids!
- Make your weekend family outings physical ones like biking, swimming, or miniature golf. Go to an amusement park, or a park and play on the playground. Try canoeing, rock wall climbing, hula hoop, fly a kite, ice-skating, or jump rope. Go to a bowling alley, batting cage, or hit golf balls at a driving range. Set up fun obstacle courses using fun outdoor toys, play outdoor games like catch or tag. Play laser tag or ultimate Frisbee. Okay, now I am ready for a weekend just thinking about these fun activities.
- Walk around your yard while you kids play outdoor games.
- Play with your kids 30 minutes a day.
- Buy a set of hand weights and play a round of Simon Says with your kids. You play Simon Says with the weights; they play without weights.
- Swim with your kids.
- Walk the dog with your children.
- While watching your child’s sporting events, walk during time outs or half times.
- Play a physical Wii or Xbox one game with your children. I like the Wii sports: Wii with Wii Sports Game – White and the Just Dance 2018 – Wii or Just Dance 2018 Xbox one.
- Play Physical board games with your children like Classic Twister, Peaceable Kingdom / Feed the Woozle Preschool Skills Builder Game, Disney Junior Super Stretchy Game, or gofindit – Outdoor nature scavenger hunt card game for families.
- Take a family walk after dinner.
- Push a stroller.
- Exercise or go for walks while you are waiting for your children at practices like dance, soccer, or piano practice.
- Exercise while child plays at park.
- Walk in the pool with your baby or while your older child plays.
- You can even do sitting exercise when you are trying to be subtle like flexing your stomach or legs. Hold your legs just above the ground to strengthen you leg muscles. Do this while you are waiting in waiting rooms at your children’s check-ups.
- Go for a run with your stroller.
- Do exercises with your stroller like squats, lunges, and jogging.
- Take the stairs with child.
- Set timer at home and dance with child before and after meals.
- Walk the perimeter of the playground while your child plays.
- Do squats, step touches, or march in place while you are pushing your child in a swing.
Fun Games to Get Your Family More Active
Did you like the games mentioned above? Below are the links for those games and a few more fun phisically active family games. You will
- I hope you found some great ways to continue exercising with kids. What were some of your favorite “exercising with kids” ideas? This is a post in my DIY weight loss series. If you would like to evaluate your own diet and determine which tips work best for you, please take the free DIY Diet Self Assessment and evaluation developed by a registered dietitian.
Other Related Post
Copyright © 2018 Mindfulness in Faith and Food.
You are free to retain any and all content here for personal use, but need permission to use it anywhere else on the internet.
This Website is hosted by Bluehost.